Topic:Development of social sector services related to education
2) Institute of Eminence tag will go a long way in improving the status of higher education in India. Discuss (250 words)
Why this question
The article talks about the advantages that will accrue to those universities granted Institute of Eminence tag on account of higher autonomy. The impact such a move would have on the quality of higher education, which has repeatedly been slammed by experts is the focus here, and important for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first describe the benefits that is provided by the Institute of Eminence tag. Thereafter we have to link the problems faced by higher education in the country and how granting greater autonomy to institutes with this tag would help in improving the status of higher education.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that there has been a long standing allegation that UGC stifled autonomy of institutes of higher education. To address it, government removed UGC and has now selected certain institutes to be granted this tag.
- Explain what institutes of Eminence tag means and the advantages it will have for those institutes with this tag
- Highlight the challenges faced by higher educational institutes – lack of funds, lack of autonomy, age cold curriculum etc
- Discuss whether the tag which provides greater autonomy and funds would address the issues discussed above.
- Also highlight the challenges that might be faced, lack of absorption capacity in many universities, less capacity in designing curriculum in sync with current times etc
Conclusion – Mention your view based on arguments made above and discuss the way forward.