ETHICS – Insights 70 Days Plan
Day – 17
1. Suppose one of your close friends, who is also aspiring for civil services, comes to you for discussing some of the issues related to ethical conduct in politics and public service. He raises the following points :
- It is impractical to be ethical in politics as it is not possible to contest and win elections only based on good work done when in power. One has to compromise with their morals to stay in power to do good work for the people.
- For a public servant who has been brutally honest for most of their career, it is ok to compromise a little to accept certain gifts or kickbacks if it’s not risky keeping in mind necessities of post-retirement life.
- In the interest of the nation, for a leader, it is not always good to hold on to the moral high ground. One should be practical and ready to compromise their moral attitude in order to achieve what’s best for the country.
- If government is not willing to increase incentives or salary of a bureaucrat, it should be lenient towards officers who work hard yet indulge in accepting bribes now and then to meet certain demands of their families.
Critically analyze the above viewpoints. On the basis of this analysis, what will be your advice to your friend? 250 words.