Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social sector services relating to
2) The move to close down the present higher education regulator, the University Grants Commission (UGC), and usher in the Higher Education Commission of India (HECI) is a progressive move but fraught with challenges. Analyze. (250 words)
Why this question
The article is very good for understanding the reasons why HECI Bill has been brought in and the challenges therein. Hence this question.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the shortcomings of UGC which has led to several commentators welcoming HECI. Thereafter we need to highlight the challenges that are likely to be faced in the coming years as a result of the Bill and the way forward.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – First highlight that why HECI Bill is in the news.
- Elaborate the main features of HECI Bill.
- Examine why it was requires. Here you can mention reports such as Hari Gautam Committee etc to explain why reforming UGC was necessary. These committees had also suggested the creation of HECI
- Explain what the function of HECI is going to be and how is it different from UGC.
- Highlight the main challenges in future as pointed out in both articles
Conclusion – Mention that reforms in higher education sector is the need of the hour and discuss the way forward for smooth implementation and effective outcome.