Topic– Role of women and women’s organization, Social empowerment
2) Gender equality offers a sizeable economic opportunity for any country. India, however, has lagged behind in taking advantage of this economic opportunity. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
The economic losses suffered due to lack of gender parity is a very important topic for mains. Such questions are often asked including in essays. This article provides several fodder points on this issue.
Key demand of the question
The question makes two statements, both of which needs to be discussed. How is gender equality related to economic progress and the status of India on this parameter needs to be discussed.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that several reports including the present one, the power of parity etc have highlighted this linkage and the need for countries to take steps in this regard.
- Discuss how gender empowerment is linked to economic progress
- Highlight the status quo in India – discuss the poor LFPR of females in India, their poor performance on other indicators of development which indirectly impact their ability to become meaningful contributors to economy
- Highlight the benefits that India would accrue if it focuses on gender empowerment – limit yourself to benefits directly or indirectly related to economic growth
- Discuss the steps taken so far and what more could be done
Conclusion – Highlight the importance of focussing on this issue to reap economic dividends.