Topic: Salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
1) Ancient Indian temple architecture evolved over the centuries from simple rock-cut cave shrines to massive and ornate temples. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
The question is related to GS 1 syllabus under the following heading-
salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the origin and evolution of Indian temple architecture. We have to discuss how the ancient temple architecture was shaped around India and how it evolved over the time.
Discuss- This is an all-encompassing directive which means that we have to write in detail about the origin of temple architecture in India, how they evolved over time different temple styles in India, their main features etc.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention the reasons for building the early temples and mention the bhakti movement which laid down the model temple architecture for the coming millenia.
- Discuss the main parts of the temple and how further parts were added to the parent structure.
- Discuss the Buddhist influence, contribution of further dynasties like the Guptas etc.
- Bring out the important differences and common points between two main temple architecture styles in India ( Dravidian vs Nagara style).
- Mention the materials used and how they changed over time. Mention a few important temples of India with marvellous architecture.
Conclusion- Mention the regional variations which produced exquisite samples of beauty but more or less the temple architecture in India followed a similar plan and evolution.