TOPIC:Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
3) India has been steadily progressing towards building an end to end holistic scientific ecosystem. Critically examine. (250 words)
Why this question
There have been several measures undertaken in the previous years which have focussed on improving the status of science, technology and research in India. From implicit focus through schemes like Digital India, Make in India etc and explicit focus through creation of Atal Tinkering Labs to RAAY. Examining whether these measures have led to a holistic improvement in the status of science and technology is important.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out what holistic improvement in science and research entails. Thereafter, the schemes and policies of the government which have led to holistic improvement in status of science of research needs to be examined – the impact of it as well. The areas, where gaps still exist also need to be highlighted. Finally, we need to provide a fair and balanced view along with way forward.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. You need to conclude with a fair judgement, after analyzing the nature of each component part and interrelationship between them.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Bring out that India has so far not unlocked it’s potential in science and research as evident in the low rank we occupy on GII etc. Efforts has been put in bettering the status quo and the results have started showing.
- Highlight India’s current position and legacy issues in the field of science and research – GII position, lack of original research etc
- Highlight that the government has committed to improve the status of science and research in India including setting its eyes on the nobel prize.
- Bring out the steps taken. You can divide this part in categories like industrial research , building grassroot innovation culture, academic research, application of SnT in solving national issues etc
- Thereafter, highlight the key lacunae that still exist – funding issues, industry academia poor linkages, regulatory issues etc
Conclusion – provide a fair and balanced conclusion and how we can plug the gap.