Topic: Environmental pollution and degradation
5) “Beat plastic pollution” the theme for World Environment Day, for its success in India, requires India to bring certain changes in its Plastic Waste Management Rules. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question
India, as the host country of World Environment Day, carries the onus to lead by example in management of plastic waste. Plastic waste management rules 2016 which have been amended in 2018, fills in certain gaps of the past rules but still requires several changes to function effectively. Topics related to plastic pollution is very important for mains this year.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to analyze the details of the solid waste management rules 2016 and its amendments carried out in 2018, along with its implementation to assess their effectiveness in tackling plastic pollution.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention the focus on tackling plastic pollution by making it the theme of world environment day, as several reports have highlighted the alarming magnitude to which this problem has grown.
- Mention the status quo regarding the extent of plastic pollution in India – data on generation, treatment etc of plastics. Paint the broad picture of the extent of plastic pollution for which the government has revised rules.
- Discuss the positives of the rules – EPR, attaching a monetary worth to plastics etc.
- Thereafter, bring out the points in the rules which either impede, or do not facilitate tackling plastic pollution. Also discuss the problems with implementation of these rules.
- Highlight the changes that need to be brought in the rules which would make dealing with plastic waste a little less cumbersome
Conclusion – present your view on the changes required and the ways to achieve them.