Topic:Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) Discuss the challenges that data collection in India faces? Examine whether the draft National Policy on official statistics addresses these challenges?(250 words)
Why this question
The draft National Policy on Official Statistics is much required due to the declining truth in the numbers in a post truth world. We need to analyze the provisions of the draft policy to understand it’s hits and misses.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to incorporate the following points in our answer
- Provisions of the policy – issues faced in data collection correctly
- It’s hits and misses – how it addresses the challenges
- The impact this will have
- Any changes required
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the fact that in a post truth world, ensuring that the numbers are beyond doubt is important and thus this policy becomes important too
- Highlight the issues that the present data collection processes face – lack of interdisciplinary approach, questions not framed properly etc
- Highlight the provisions of the policy and how it addresses these issues
- Highlight those areas where the policies fall short
- Discuss the impact that this policy is likely to have
Conclusion – Your view on the policy along with changes required.