Topic –Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
5) Zoonotic diseases will prove to be a big health risk going forward and India must gear itself to deal with this challenge. Examine (250 words)
Why this question
Diseases like Zika, Nipah etc have huge health costs. Off late, Bill Gates has predicted that we are very near the next epidemic. The health infrastructure in India, already quite shabby, would bend it’s back in trying to deal with situations like these. Hence, understanding the threats of zoonotic diseases and steps to deal with them is critical.
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be brought out in your answer
- What are zoonotic diseases
- How they are a huge health risk – apart from the obvious fact that they can lead to loss of significant no of lives, what other factors exacerbates the risk
- How India deals with these diseases and the changes required
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . In the above case, discuss points as highlighted above.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – explain zoonotic diseases along with some current examples to establish the scare on account of zoonotic diseases.
- How they are a huge health risk – apart from the obvious fact that they can lead to loss of significant no of lives, what other factors exacerbates the risk. Explain points like ecosystem changes brought about, no vaccination etc
- How we deal with such diseases , highlight our experience in dealing with Zika scare and now Nipah scare.
- Examine how can we improve our handling of these diseases – virology centres, border screening, awareness etc
Conclusion – Mention that it is important to take proactive action, rather than reactive in this case as the health cost of an outbreak will be immense.