Topic –India and its neighborhood- relations.
4) China’s actions threaten the fragile Himalayan ecosystem and makes it imperative for India to act. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
Himalayan ecosystem is sensitive, and Tibetan plateau is rich in natural resources ranging from minerals to water etc which is being exploited by China. This raises several concerns for India and becomes an issue that is necessary to be dealt with in the context of their bilateral relations.
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be incorporated in your answer
- How does Chinese actions in Tibet threatens Himalayan ecosystem
- How does Chinese inaction threaten Himalayan ecosystem
- What has India done to deal with this threat
- Other steps that must be taken by India
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that the Chinese unilateralism in its dealings with countries in its neighbourhood causes huge issues – building islands in SCS, dams in Tibet etc
- Examine Chinese actions in Tibet which threaten the Himalayan ecosystem like building of dams, overdrive to appropriate natural resources in Tibet etc
- Examine Chinese inactions which are leading to problems – nom sharing of water data, no intention of signing a water treaty etc
- Examine the challenges it poses for India and its neighbourhood
- Examine India’s past responses to this situation – registered protest in building of a dam etc
- Steps that India should take to deal with this challenge
Conclusion – highlight that off late there have been signs of rapprochement between the two countries courtesy Wuhan etc and India should ensure that it’s strategic and environmental interests are respected by China.