TOPIC: Storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related
4)Improving agriculture productivity entails greater focus on agricultural research and education, along with extension and training (AgRE&XT). Analyse.(250 words)
Why this question
Agriculture is the mainstay of Indian economy and question related to agriculture are often asked in mains. Moreover, agriculture extension is a very important aspect of agriculture on which much focus has not been given by government so far, which means that India’s performance is not up to the mark. Hence understanding the issues in AgRE&ST becomes important.
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be focused upon in your answer
- Explain in brief why improving productivity is necessary and how agricultural extension services help in improving productivity
- Examine India’s performance in providing such services to it’s farmers
- Highlight where all are we falling short
- Elucidate changes required
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – explain why improving productivity is critical and thus focus on extension services is required.
- Explain how agri extension services help in enhancing productivity
- Analyze India’s performance so far in providing agri services to the farmers
- Analyze where are we falling short – the causes due to which it’s not picking up. Eg lack of finances , personnel etc
- Examine what are the changes required and whether improving productivity has some other quick fix.
Conclusion – Summarize the arguments above and mention the way forward .