Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive
3) Grassroot bureaucracy in India suffers from several flaws and merits reform. Examine. (250 words)
Why this question
Implementation challenge is indeed a recurrent theme in Indian administration and understanding the reasons behind such challenge becomes critical. This is how we can suggest related reforms to enable alleviation of these issues. Hence this question.
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be detailed out in your answer
- What do you mean by grassroot bureaucracy
- What are the flaws in its working and the challenges arising out of these flaws
- Whether reforms are required and if yes, the details of the reforms required
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . Discuss the issues as highlighted above.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss what grassroot bureaucracy is and why is it important to evaluate their performance by highlighting some of the challenges arising out of their functioning.
- Discuss the issues plaguing grassroot bureaucracy due to which they face challenges in their functioning
- Discuss the causes behind these shortcomings in grassroot bureaucracy – take ideas from the article as well as any other relevant point you can think of
- Analyze the impacts of a less than optimum bureaucracy
- Comment briefly on whether reforms are required or not
- Highlight the reforms required based on your reading of 2nd ARC etc
Conclusion – Mention the need for an optimum bureaucracy to ensure that the developmental needs are met and steps that should be taken in this regard.