Topic:Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life; Challenges to internal security
6) Drone use for civilian purposes have immense applications but also poses regulatory challenges. Examine. Also evaluate whether India needs a policy for regulating drone use?(250 words)
Why this question
Drone technology has advanced significantly and drones are now being used for multiple purposes. At the same time, these applications are creating challenges for internal security. Moreover, India’s policy architecture is quite underdeveloped in this area. Thus this issue becomes important.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the following points in our answer
- The applications of drone technology, also touch upon how India is making use of the technology with greater emphasis on civilian use
- The security challenges that India faces due to unregulàted use of drones
- The need for a robust policy and how should the contours of the policy look like
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any. The issues discussed above need to be brought out.
Evaluate – Based on your examination of the issue conclude on the need of a drone policy for India.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention in brief about the growing use of drones for civilian as well as military purposes.
- Talk about the applications of drones for civilian purposes. Highlight the practical examples of where drones are being used.
- Talk about the security challenges that it poses
- Discuss the present policy architecture
- Examine the lacunae that needs to be filled through a robust drone policy
Conclusion – based on your arguments made above, conclude whether India needs a drone policy urgently or not