Topic – India and its bilateral relations
4) Improving India Nepal relations requires greater focus on implementation and less on optics. Analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
The completion of PM Modi’s visit to Nepal provides an opportune time to discuss the significance of the visit and chalking out the way forward.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to focus on following points
- Status quo of India Nepal relations
- Why optics – religious diplomacy, talk of historical and religious brotherhood etc – will not go a long way in resolving the teething issues in India Nepal relations
- How the focus should be on implementation of projects
- Way forward
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When you are asked to analyze, you have to examine each part of the problem. It is a broader term than ‘Examine’.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention about our PM’s visit to Nepal and the important agreements signed
- Bring out the status quo in India Nepal relations with more emphasis on bringing out the issues that plague the relationship
- Highlight why merely focussing on optics like historical linkage, religious similarity etc will hardly resolve the issues that affect our relationship
- Highlight the pending projects in infrastructure, hydro projects etc which needs to be completed soon to ensure meaningful progress of the relationship
- Highlight how China is waiting in the wings to fill in the gap that lackadaisical attitude on part of India can create
Conclusion – mention that Nepal is crucial for India’s foreign policy and mention what should be the way forward.