Topic: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies, Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
2)Centre’s draft scheme to monitor Cauvery water sharing is insufficient to ensure equitable distribution of water. Examine while suggesting alternative paradigms for river water management.(250 words)
Why this question
The submission of the draft scheme is another step in the never ending saga of inter state river water disputes and needs to be prepared.
Key demand of the question
Following points are required in the answer
- The details of the scheme
- The pros and cons of the draft scheme and the impact of creation of overseeing body
- Alternatives to resolving this intractable dispute
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any. Centre’s draft scheme brought out recently is to be examined here.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – mention in brief about the long history of the dispute and explain what prompted the centre to come out with this scheme
- Mention the details of the scheme, compare and contrast it with the tribunal’s recommendation
- Highlight the pros and cons of the body in terms of its effectiveness and efficiency in monitoring the implementation of the award. Talk about the composition, mandate, decision making etc
- Explore some alternatives like decentralization committee, community participation etc which would help resolve this dispute in a better manner (take ideas from the down to earth article)
Conclusion – Mention the need of urgently resolving this long pending issue and paint a picture of how this body can help in resolution of this long pending issue.