Topic -Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3)To enable greater efficacy of public policies, it is necessary to ensure meaningful public participation. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
A lot of policies have been made public for comments and feedback, however a very limited set of people particularly organised civil society are able to register their feedback and response. Ways to ensure greater public participation needs to be devised so as to enable formulation of better policies.
Key demand of the question
The following points have to be brought out
- The present situation – how public participation is sought to be ensured etc
- the advantages and ways of ensuring greater public participation
- The impracticality and disadvantages of greater public participation in case of public policies
- Instances of public policies which have had a buy in of all stakeholders and the impact that it has created such as RTI
- Way forward
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the recent policies which have been brought out for public response and relate that to the issue being discussed in the question.
- Bring out the present situation – highlight that formal mechanisms exist but are unutilized or underutilized
- Highlight the advantages of ensuring greater public participation
- Highlight the disadvantages of the same
- Highlight ways in which the situation can be improved
- Highlight case study of RTI where there was a lot of genuine public participation and how the policy has strengthened democracy and the experience should be replicated across
Conclusion – stress on the importance of the issue in ensuring formulation of better policies and the way forward.