Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
6) Oceans are claimed to be ‘last frontiers’ of growth and development, however, this potential needs to be utilised in a balanced manner. In this backdrop, examine whether creation of Marine protected areas is in sync with India’s Blue economy strategy?(250 words)
Why this question
The discussion on global conservation accord for the oceans brings into focus the blue economy strategy of various countries. India has off late taken a lead in creating awareness and implementing blue economy strategies for itself and indian ocean littoral countries. Thus the balance between usage of ocean resources and sustainable management of oceans has to be found.
Key demand of the question
The following points are to brought out in your answer
- The immense potential of ocean resources
- The need to maintain a balance and what is understood by balance
- What is blue economy and how the creation of Marine protected areas is linked to blue economy
- Examine whether for a country like india, having several pressing developmental needs, creation of protected areas will lead to issues in growth. How to reconcile the two
- Strategy that should be followed
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . Here discuss the issues as discussed above.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the growing emphasis on Blue economy, explain blue economy in brief.
- Highlight the immense potential of ocean resources, which enhances the risk of over exploitation and hence the need for maintaining a delicate balance. Talk about the problems faced on account of ocean pollution.
- Discuss the global accord on ocean conservation and the debates that it raises for countries like india
- Probe deeper into india’s blue economy strategy and discuss the pros and cons of creating MPAs. In cons, one can discuss cases like the opposition to Meenakumari committee on deep sea fishing which advocated creation of protected areas to boost fish population.
- Discuss what should be a balanced strategy for india
Conclusion – provide your view and way forward on MPAs