Topic – Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
2) Critically analyze whether India needs a modification in its nuclear doctrine to secure national interest?(250 words)
Why this question
20 years post Pokhran II, and the prevailing geopolitical and geostrategic flux provides an opportune moment for India to analyze whether its current nuclear doctrine is best suited to secure India’s national security.
Key demand of the question
Following points needs to be covered in your answer
- What is India’s nuclear doctrine
- How the current doctrine helps India achieve India’s national security interests
- How the current doctrine falls short
- Expert opinion on modifications required in India’s nuclear doctrine
- Your own view
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. You need to conclude with a fair judgement, after analyzing the nature of each component part and interrelationship between them.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the changes happening in geopolitical and geostrategic status quo which makes it prudent to revise our nuclear doctrine. Also mention that global disarmament is a distant dream and securing national interest is the priority.
- Discuss India’s nuclear doctrine, discuss India’s national interest and how the current doctrine helps in fulfilling it.
- Discuss how the current doctrine falls short. Examine it from various angles such as as a deterrent, in line with foreign policy objectives , geopolitical status quo, technological advancement such as strategic nuckes etc
- Discuss the changes that can be brought in
- Summarise your arguments by providing your view
Conclusion – Highlight the need for constant review of India’s nuclear doctrine and the way forward.