Topic – Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
6)India’s strategy to tackle air pollution needs an overhaul. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
The recent report by WHO that identifies 14 of the top 15 polluting cities in India paints a sorry state of affairs of pollution management and response in India. This situation needs to be rectified soon and hence requires an examination of our strategy and implementation.
Key demand of the question
The answer should cover the following aspects
- Details of India’s strategy in dealing with air pollution
- Whether there have been any advantages of this strategy
- Highlight the inadequacy of India’s strategy
- Suggest alternatives
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give details of the WHO report and why the situation needs to be urgently addressed
- Highlight details of India’s strategy
- Highlight the positives like – growth in public consciousness, continuous and real time monitoring through aqi etc
- Highlight the various ways in which our strategy fails to address the situation – no SOP in case of severe air pollution etc
- Based on global best practices and reports suggest a way forward for India
Conclusion – mention the need for urgent intervention to secure a clean future.