Topic – Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
5)Examine the performance of National Forest Policy 1988. Discuss whether the draft forest policy will address the issues faced by forest sector in India?(250 words)
Why this question
The data on forest area released by state of forest report (SFR) highlights the less than adequate increase in the forest cover of India. Due to declining forest cover, India is facing several environmental challenges and natural hazards which make it imperative for us to evaluate the performance of last forest policy and suggest changed in the new draft forest policy.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the following points in our answer
- The performance of forest policy 1988
- In protection and enhancement of forest cover
- Involvement of people in conservation efforts
- The issue faced by forest management in India
- Whether those issues have been adequately handled in the draft forest policy. If yes, how and if not, what changes should be brought in.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – mention that India has recently come out with a draft forest policy and the SFR data has highlighted the problems plaguing forests in India.
- Discuss the broad principles of forest policy of 1988 and examine its impact on areas like forest area coverage, community participation in conservation etc
- Examine the issues that are still plaguing the forests despite NFP 1988
- Examine whether the draft forest policy will help in resolving the issues faced. Discuss the key provisions, principle and aims and objectives of the policy to see whether it is line with the changes required
Conclusion – Present your view on the efficacy of draft forest policy and suggest way forward.