Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
3) “Decline in manufacturing jobs is not necessarily a cause of concern”. Critically examine the issues created due to premature deindustrialization in India and ways to address them. (250 words)
Why this question
Creation of jobs is one of the most critical step required for India in light of its demographic situation. The lack of growth in manufacturing sector raises many issues for Indian economy. The focus of the government on programmes like make in India and skill India makes it imperative for us to analyze why despite sustained efforts, commensurate benefits are not being reaped.
Key demand of the question
The question demands us to examine the issues created by premature deindustrialization in India, whereas also stating that decline of manufacturing jobs is not necessarily a matter of concern. Following points are to brought out in the answer
- Status quo – lack of productive jobs
- Why the lack of productive jobs is a problem
- Also need to examine how non creation of jobs in manufacturing sector is not that big an issue
- The new challenges that employment situation in India poses to us
- Ways to deal with the challenge
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss in brief about premature deindustrialization and the problem of employment in India, particularly acute due to lack of new jobs creation.
- Present the status quo of employment in the country – sectoral division, nature of jobs etc
- Examine the issues raised by premature deindustrialization in the country
- Examine in light of WEO and IMF report, whether the assertion made makes sense for India. Whether transitioning to service sector jobs directly is sustainable.
- Discuss the concerns that we have to be mindful of in light of lack of manufacturing jobs – productivity of jobs, social security etc
- Discuss the steps by government to deal with unemployment and ensuring the health of our economy – make in India , Skill India and what more can be done to boost employment
Conclusion – mention your view on whether manufacturing jobs is critical or not in Indian context.