TOPIC: The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors
/contributions from different parts of the country.
1) Discuss the significance of Individual Satyagraha in Indian freedom movement. Why did Congress working committee decide to suspend Individual Satyagraha?(250 words)
Bipan Chandra – India’s struggle for independence pg 459
Key demand of the question
The question demands us to answer how individual Satyagraha helped take the national movement forward. The second part demands us to answer the reason why the movement was suspended.
Discuss – The focus should be on detailing the significance of individual Satyagraha for our freedom movement. One can also bring out the limitations of the movement and how the movement failed to achieve anything tangible.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – explain briefly about individual Satyagraha
- Discuss the background in which the decision was taken to launch individual Satyagraha
- Discuss how it took the national movement forward – channelize the masses political energy, highlight their grievances in front of the British etc ; the leadership question got resolved etc
- Discuss the limitations of the movement
- Examine the reason why CWC decided to end the movement – questions over the safety and defence of India etc
Conclusion – summarise the significance of individual Satyagraha.