Topic – Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
3)NHPS is a critical step in improving the status of healthcare in India, however, the way ahead is fraught with challenges. Examine the challenges and suggest measures to tackle them. (250 words)
Why this question
NHPS is a critical step in achieving the vision of universal healthcare in India. In light of the challenges associated with poor healthcare, out of pocket expenditure etc, the idea of health insurance to deal with these issues is a long debated one. Now that we are moving ahead on this, it becomes imperative to be aware of the challenges and discuss a way forward.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the following issues
- Details of NHPS and what advantages it will bring
- The challenges in the implementation of the scheme and the impacts it is likely to have in the effectiveness of NHPS
- Learn from global experiences, experiences of states like TN etc, reports etc in writing a way forward
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
In the case of above question on challenges in implementation of NHPS, we have to examine different aspects like finances , regulations, capacity building etc and the impact those challenges are likely to have on the future of NHPS.
Suggest measures – Suggestions should be based on reports, opinion pieces, global and state’s experiences.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Write details about NHPS and how implementation of such a scheme is fraught with challenges.
- Discuss why NHPS is important
- Universal healthcare
- Out of pocket expenditure
- Improving hdi etc
- Examine the challenges. Discuss challenges under broadheads like
- Regulatory architecture
- Infrastructural shortcomings particularly at primary and secondary level
- Capacity building
- Also mention the impact that these challenges would have on the future of NHPS , if left unresolved
- Suggest way forward based on experiences of South East Asian countries in providing healthcare, quote from the opinions expressed in the articles , along with your own views
Conclusion – Give the issue a larger context by linking it to question of socio economic justice and the role of government in providing a better life to the citizens to establish that the issue deserves utmost importance.