PRELIMS BOOSTER 2018
Dhole (Asiatic wild dog ,Indian wild dog, whistling dog, red dog,or mountain wolf) and Bonn Convention —- Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals
Dhole (Asiatic wild dog ,Indian wild dog, whistling dog, red dog,or mountain wolf)
- Endangered –IUCN
- CITES – Appendix II
- Shedule II of wildlife act
- canid native to Central, South and Southeast Asia
- The dhole is a highly social animal, living in large clans without rigid dominance hierarchies and containing multiple breeding females
- Dhole is a habitat generalist, and can occur in a wide variety of vegetation types, including: primary, secondary and degraded forms of tropical dry and moist deciduous forests; evergreen and semi-evergreen forests; temperate deciduous forests; boreal forests; dry thorn forests; grassland–scrub–forest mosaics; temperate steppe; and alpine steppe
- Depletion of prey base
- Habitat loss and transformation
- Persecution of Dholes stems mainly from retaliatory killings due to livestock predation
- Disease and pathogens: Dholes are susceptible to rabies, canine distemper, canine parvovirus and sarcoptic mange among others which are usually contracted from domestic village dogs that act as reservoirs.
- Competition with other species like Tigers and Leopards for prey
Bonn Convention —- Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals
- conserve terrestrial, marine and avian migratory species throughout their range
- intergovernmental treaty
- concluded under the aegis of UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme)
- signed — 1979 in Bad Godesberg, a suburb of Bonn (hence the name
- entered into force — 1983
- depositary — government of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- The CMS is the only global and UN-based intergovernmental organization established exclusively for the conservation and management of terrestrial, aquatic and avian migratory species throughout their range.
- Membership — 124 Parties (April 2018)
- CMS COP – Global Wildlife Conference.
COP12 — Manila, Philippines
India will host next Conference of Parties 13 (CMS COP13) in year 2020.