TOPIC: salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
1) A close analysis of art and culture of medieval India points to the cultural syncretism, which has been a distinguishing feature of Indian society and polity. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The recognition of the importance of upholding the core value of Indian state ie unity in diversity is a core concern today. An analysis of the art and culture of medieval India will go well to show that the society and polity of India has always been inclusive and should continue to be so.
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be highlighted in your answer
- What do you mean by cultural syncretism in society and polity
- How does literature, religion, art and architecture , music of the time imbibe the ideal of syncretism to present an organic whole
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . You are required to discuss the main points discussed above.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the need of revising the lesson of unity in diversity in the present situation where caste, religion and gender based violence are being highlighted more.
- Mention the one core value of India which had remained constant through time – unity in diversity as a result of cultural syncretism
- Highlight the presence of this value in medieval India – give examples from social situation to the effort made by Mughal rulers to introduce secular laws
- Examine the art and culture of the era to support this argument
- Literature – system of administration in Ain I Akbar
- Literature of bhakti and Sufi saints
- Religion – bhakti and Sufi movements
- Architecture – Indo Islamic style
- Painting – intermingling of provincial and royal school
Conclusion – Highlight the need of continuing with this tradition of cultural syncretism for it leads to enrichment of our culture like it happened in medieval times.