Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the
present- significant events, personalities, issues.
2)Indian constitution and the laws critical to administration of country borrow heavily from the various British provisions and Acts introduced in 19th and 20th century by the British. Analyse. (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question asks us to analyze the statement that indian laws and constitution borrows heavily from British laws and provisions. Thus we need to examine the following points –
- How the constitution borrows from the various government of India act.
- Discuss which laws that are “critical to the administration of the country” are borrowed from pre independence.
- Also analyse whether the laws resemble just the letter of the law or the spirit of the law as well
- Discuss whether these laws require reforms to keep them in line with the current demand of administration.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – mention that Indian constitution is called a bag of borrowings – borrows heavily from pre independence laws. Similarly many British laws continued post independence as well.
- Mention the provisions of the constitution which are borrowed from the government of India act. Division of subjects etc
- Identify laws which are critical to the administration of the country like Indian police act, nature or judiciary etc
- Examine whether the letter as well as the spirit of the law have been borrowed from pre independence era.
Conclusion – Mention the need of reforms in Indian police act, sedition act etc to ensure that administration of the country is in line with the present needs.