Topic – History of the world – redrawal of national boundaries ; India and its bilateral relations.
3) The tensions and disputes between Pakistan and India are fundamentally different to the issues between the Koreas, which make an India Pakistan thaw unlikely. Critically analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
There are few supposedly intractable conflicts in the world – India Pakistan and Korean peninsula figure prominently in that list. The possibility of a thaw in Korean peninsula provides an opportunity to draw parallels between the two conflicts and examine whether an India Pakistan thaw is probable.
Key demand of the question
The question makes two assertions both of which have to be critically analysed. They are
- That there are dissimilarities between the India Pakistan conflict and the Korean conflict. We have to examine whether it is indeed so
- Because of the dissimilarities, an India Pakistan thaw is unlikely – we have to examine whether we can take learnings from the Korean thaw to normalise India Pakistan relationship.
Our opinion on the two assertions is to be provided.
Critically analyze – When asked to critically analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. You need to conclude with a fair judgement, after analyzing the nature of each component part and interrelationship between them.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – discuss the current development in Korean peninsula and how that has proved that there are no permanent friends or enemies in international relations, what matters is national interest.
- Critically analyze the first assertion. Bring both sides of the picture in focus – mention the similarities and dissimilarities in the two conflicts. Provide your opinion on whether the situation is similar or not.
- Critically analyze the second statement. Discuss whether India Pakistan relations can be improved by a leap of faith taken by our leaders or the issues are much deep rooted. Analyze the issue from various perspectives like
- Historical – mistrust due to past experiences etc
- Geopolitical – role of great powers in the conflict
- Strategic – terrorism, nuclear weapons etc
- Economic – trade
- Cultural – P2P relations etc
- Role of leadership
- Ideological etc
Conclusion – provide a balanced judgment and what lessons can we draw from the thaw.