TOPIC : Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to
3)Centre has unleashed a series of reformist steps to unburden and unshackle the higher education sector. To ensure they are effective, UGC needs to reform it’s working. Examine. (250 words)
Why this question
This article combines two issues – steps taken by government to improve status of higher education as well as role of regulatory agencies in the field of higher education. Both very important for mains.
Key demand of the question
Following are the issues that need to be highlighted in the answer
- Step taken by govt to improve higher eduxation.
- What are the steps designed to achieve. How will they unshackle higher education
- Examine the current role of UGC
- Reforms required in the functioning of UGC to achieve the aim that government is trying to achieve
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – mention the status quo in higher education to establish that the sector indeed needs reforms
- Discuss the aims of the reforms initiated by the government
- Discuss the steps taken by the govt such as HEFA, ranking of universities, trying to create world class universities, greater autonomy to universities through bills like IIM Bill etc
- Examine the issues faced by UGC that hinder the growth of higher education in India. Such as no respect for autonomy, trying to micromanage affairs etc
- Mention the reforms which will help. Take suggestions from previous committees like Hari Gautam committee, Sam Pitroda Committee etc. Also take inputs from the article.
Conclusion – mention the need of bringing in reforms quickly to ensure that higher education improves which will help in strengthening the economy and provide other benefits.