Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact
4) Fracking might make us less dependent on conventional fossil fuels, but it does so at a huge cost. Discuss in the context of whether it is justified for India to start fracking.(250 words)
Why this question
Our energy dependency makes us look for alternative sources of energy. Some of them however have several adverse impacts on the environment. It is necessary to thus understand the pros and cons before we decide to go ahead with fracking.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to underline the pros and cons of fracking, whether the adverse environmental impact can be mitigated and whether it makes sense for India to go ahead with fracking like US has, due to the unique issues that India faces
Discuss – We have to discuss all the major points related to fracking – pros, cons, any risk mitigating steps required, the impact on agriculture and other communities due to fracking in India.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain fracking and the shale revolution
- Discuss the process of fracking which would help us get an idea of what all can go wrong
- Explain the necessity of shale oil/gas revolution and the benefits of fracking
- Discuss the impact that fracking can cause on environment, ground water etc
- Present your view on whether fracking should be continued or whether we should explore renewable sources more
Conclusion – Present your views on how we can ensure that we use resources such as shale oil and the need to adopt a less utilitarian view point and assess the impact before going ahead.