Topic – Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
6)Establishment of a Defence Planning Committee will facilitate comprehensive and integrated planning for defence matters. Examine.
WHy this question
In a significant defence policy reform notified on April 18, 2018, the government has revamped the existing defence planning system by establishing a Defence Planning Committee (DPC) under the chairmanship of the National Security Adviser (NSA). The new measure, arguably the boldest defence reform in decades, is likely to have a far reaching consequence on the way defence planning is undertaken and on defence preparedness.Hence the topic is important
Key demand of the question
The focus is on analyzing the formation of DPC and whether it represents a break from the past or whether its old wine in a new bottle. The objectives, pros and cons have to be mentioned.
Examine – Get deeper into the formation of DPC, analyze its objectives, benefits, and potential impacts
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what a DPC is and whether such a body existed in the past
- Highlight the objectives with which the DPC has been formed as well as other details about DPC – such as role, tenure etc
- Highlight how DPC will address the lacunae in policy making architecture
- Greater coordination
- Will lay down security doctrines missing in India so far
- Chief of Defense Staff – a long standing demand
- Highlight how DPC is not pathbreaking and will fail to alter the status quo
- Not a lot of interface with think tanks etc
Conclusion – Mention your opinion on DPC and whether it will help transform policymaking keeping India’s national security in mind.