Topic: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
5) NCTC would be a game changer for fortifying India’s national security and intelligence network. Critically examine.
Why this question
Relevance and necessity of NCTC, its impact on federalism etc has been a matter of debate right since the idea was proposed. Despite efforts by subsequent governments to initiate discussion on this issue, not much has moved forward. In this context, the current report by Rajya Sabha will rekindle the debate over NCTC and hence becomes important from a GS3 perspective.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to examine in depth the pros and cons of NCTC in Indian context, its impact on federalism. Since the question mentions a “game changer”, we also have to bring out how NCTC is different from all the other intelligence and security related bodies of the past. We also have to mention the potential fallouts of NCTC.
Examine – We have to analyze whether NCTC is a gamechanger, the impact that NCTC would have on Indian security architecture and intelligence network – both good and bad, and why consensus over NCTC is elusive.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss about NCTC
- Discuss why NCTC has the potential to be a gamechanger
- Here focus on the advantages that NCTC would offer
- Explain how NCTC would be different from India’s current security architecture
- Discuss the issues with NCTC
- The apprehension of states and political opponents
- Concentration of intelligence gathering and arrest powers in a single organization
- DIscuss what’s holding back NCTC
Conclusion – Highlight the importance or the futility of NCTC for India.