All India Radio News Summary: 15 MARCH 2018
- Lok Sabha passed the Payment Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017
Lok Sabha passed the Payment Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017 without discussion.
The bill aims at increasing the upper ceiling of the gratuity from the present 10 lakh rupees to 20 lakh rupees for employees.
- Four more opposition MPs were arrested as part of the police crackdown in Maldives
- In the Maldives, four more opposition MPs were arrested last night as part of the police crackdown on demonstrations and protests against the government.
- Last month, at least six MPs were taken into custody after President Abdullah Yameen imposed emergency in the country.
- Police accused the opposition of disrupting public order and inciting violence with the sole purpose of overthrowing the lawfully elected government.
- Tensions are running high in Malé as the opposition gears up for a mass protest with supporters expected to travel to the capital from across the country.
- World Consumer Rights Day – 15th March
World Consumer Rights Day is observed on 15th March every year, with the theme this year is ‘Making Digital Marketplaces Fairer’.
- The day is an opportunity to promote basic rights of all consumers, demanding that those rights are respected and protected.
- It also gives people a chance to protest against the market abuses and social injustices.
- On this day in 1962, President John F Kennedy formally addressed the issue of consumer rights in US congress.
- He was the first world leader to do so, and the consumer movement now marks that date every year as a means of raising global awareness about consumer rights.
- The first World Consumer Rights Day was observed on 1983, and has since become an important occasion for mobilising citizen action.
- In India, besides the World Consumer Rights Day, we observe the National Consumer Day on 24th of December every year.
- 105th session of the Indian Science Congress, at Manipur University
The 105th session of the Indian Science Congress will be held at Manipur University in Imphal.
- Imphal will become the second city in the North-East to host this prestigious event.
- The Indian Science Congress (ISC) is an annual congregation of science professionals from across the globe.
- The theme of this year’s edition of ISC is “Reaching the Unreached through Science and Technology.”
- The five-day Science Congress is an annual congregation of science professionals from across the globe.
- Krishi Unnati Mela begins in New Delhi
The three-day annual Krishi Unnati Mela will begin with a focus on doubling farmers’ income.
- The objective of the event is to create awareness among farmers about the latest agriculture-related technological developments.
- PM will inaugurate the Jaivik Kheti Portal and confer the Krishi Karman Award and also the Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Krishi Vigyan protsahan awards.
- The Prime Minister will also lay the foundation stone of 25 Krishi Vigyan Kendras.
- The theme area will display different kinds of organic farming techniques like natural farming and eco farming.
- The mela will have live demonstrations on micro-irrigation, waste water utilisation, conventional and modern rain fed farming technologies, Vertical farming, Integrated farming, agriculture and horticultural crops, animal husbandry, innovative technologies and farm mechanisation.
- It is the prerogative of Iran to choose its partners for the development of infrastructure facilities at the Chabahar port – India says
Iranian Foreign Minister invited Pakistan to join the Chabahar project.
India is supporting the development of the Chabahar Port as a robust and alternate access route to and fro Afghanistan and Central Asia.
A significant progress has been made in operationalizing the port and shipment of wheat assistance to Afghanistan through Chabahar is being successfully carried out since October last year.
India will continue to work with Iran on the full and effective operationalisation of the Chabahar Port.
- Import of steel has come down by 39.7 percent in the last one year
Import of steel has come down by 39.7 percent in the last one year, whereas at the same time, export has gone up making India a net export country in steel.
This was made possible by imposing anti- dumping measures like minimum import price.