All India Radio News Summary: 08 MARCH 2018
- International Women’s Day was celebrated to highlight the achievements of women.
- President gave away Nari Shakti Award to 29 women and nine institutions in recognition of their service towards women’s empowerment.
- The President also met survivors of human trafficking at Rashtrapati Bhavan. He said, human trafficking is a social evil and a crime against humanity and the entire society must unite to eradicate the evil.
- In the Rajya Sabha, members cutting across party lines called for immediate passage of the Women’s Reservation Bill which provides for 33 per cent seats for women in Parliament and State Assemblies.
- Stree Swabhiman, a CSC initiative propelled by women entrepreneurs to promote women’s health and hygiene was inaugurated.
- A set of books of Publications Division based on the lives of Rani Lakshmi Bai and Razia Sultan were released.
- The government announced launch of 100 per cent oxo-biodegradable sanitary napkins named Suvidha as a special gift for women.
- The government also launched a portal for women entrepreneurs. The portal –udyamsakhi.org– will provide help for entrepreneurship learning tools and training programmes for fund raising.
- Kerala-based Hadiya case- Love Jihad Case
The Supreme Court restored the marriage of Kerala-based Hadiya, an alleged victim of alleged love jihad, setting aside a nine-month-old order of the Kerala High Court.
The top court, however, clarified that the National Investigating Agency (NIA) may go ahead with the investigation in respect to any criminality.
- NITI Aayog CEO launched the Women Entrepreneurship Platform, WEP
NITI Aayog CEO launched the Women Entrepreneurship Platform, WEP, on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- The platform aspires to substantially increase the number of women entrepreneurs who will create and empower a dynamic New India.
- Women Entrepreneurship platform will provide a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- A women entrepreneurship platform will bring all stakeholders together in undertaking much focused action to create a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem where women do not face any gender based barriers.