All India Radio News Summary: 07 MARCH 2018
- Prime Minister will inaugurate the pan-India expansion of flagship programme – Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
Prime Minister inaugurates the pan-India expansion of flagship programme – Beti Bachao Beti Padhao – from Jhunjhunu district of Rajasthan on the International Women’s Day.
- The programme will be expanded from the present 161 districts to 640 all over the country, giving a fillip to the government’s initiative to save and educate the girl child.
- The Prime Minister will also inaugurate the National Nutrition Mission. The mission strives to reduce under-nutrition and low birth weight, bring down anaemia among young children, women and adolescent girls and reduce the prevalence of stunting among children.
- The theme of this year’s International Women’s Day is “Time Is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives“.
International Women’s Day:
- International Women’s Day is a global celebration of the social, cultural, economic and political achievements of women.
- Women’s Day was first observed on 28th February, 1909 in New York.
- At 1910 International Woman’s Conference, 8th March was suggested to be observed as International Woman’s Day.
- March 8 also became a national holiday in Soviet Russia in 1917 after women gained suffrage there.
- Later, in 1975, International Women’s Day was celebrated for the first time by the United Nations.
- India is keen to collaborate with other nations on 5G technology
India is keen to collaborate with other nations on 5G technology to cement its position as a leader in refinement and adoption of this emerging and important technology.
- 5G as one of the most important and emerging areas and the 5G push will act as a catalyst for India’s flagship Digital India mission.
- The Government will soon introduce bio-fuel policy 2018
Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas said this while inaugurating a two-day bilateral conference on advanced biofuels jointly organised by European Union and India.
Highlights of conference:
- Generation of 2G ethanol from non-sugar resource will be the key factor.
- Government stressed on Govardhan Yojana , for generation of Bio-CNG, in this year’s budget.
- The country will witness a new economy of waste to wealth worth one lakh crores in the coming years.
- The Centre is committed to give Andhra Pradesh a financial assistance equivalent to a special category state, Finance Minister
- It is agreed with the assessment that Andhra Pradesh is financially suffering after Telangana was carved out of the state.
- The promise of giving the state a special status category for AP did exist when the state was bifurcated in 2014.
- But, after the implementation of the 14th Finance Commission recommendation, such a treatment is now constitutionally restricted to just the North Eastern and three hilly states.
- Advanced Research and development of useful technologies are the need of the hour – President
President said that Advanced Research and development of useful technologies are the need of the hour as knowledge and innovation can keep pace with changes in society.
- Along with science and technology, enlightened and modern thinking is necessary to ensure that every section moves ahead amid equality and fraternity.
- We live in an age of globalisation, of building a world that does not just accommodate but celebrates diversities, and that combines the best to modern technology with a traditions and cultures of our society to build the India of our dreams.
- The bilateral trade between India and China reached an all-time high
The bilateral trade between India and China reached an all-time high of 84.4 billion US dollars last year.
- The bilateral trade in 2017 rose by 18.63 per cent year-on-year to reach 84.44 billion dollars. It was 71.18 billion dollars in 2016.
- A rare novelty of the bilateral trade was about 40 per cent increase in Indian exports to China totalling 16.3 billion dollars.
- The trade touched historic high despite bilateral tensions over a number of issues including the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, China blocking India’s efforts to bring about a UN ban on Jaish-e-Mohammad leader Masood Azhar, Beijing blocking India’s entry into the Nuclear Suppliers Group as well as the military standoff at Doklam.
- Renowned Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi has been awarded this year’s Pritzker Prize
- Renowned Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi has been awarded this year’s Pritzker Prize for being able to interpret architecture and transform it into buildings that respect Eastern culture.
- The Pritzker Prize is regarded as architecture’s equivalent to the Nobel Prize.