All India Radio News Summary: 27 FEBRUARY 2018
- Chilika Lake in Odisha has emerged as the single largest habitat of Irrawaddy dolphins
The Chilika Lake in Odisha has emerged as the single largest habitat of Irrawaddy dolphins in the world with the spotting of 155 such animals.
The number is more compared to last year’s figure of around 100 dolphins during the annual census.
- Telangana government announced five lakh rupees health-cum-life insurance scheme for farmers in the state
- The state government has decided to provide health -cum- life insurance scheme to all farmers in the state.
- The premium of health cum life insurance scheme of farmers will be fully borne by the government, benefitting 70 lakh farmers.
- The health incurrence cover will be made available in case of hospitalisation and the amount will be paid to the family in case of farmer’s accidental as well as natural death.
- An allocation of 500 crore rupees also has been made available in the upcoming budget for implementation of the scheme.
- The announcement came when the state Government is getting ready to implement the Farm Input Support Scheme from the coming Kharif season.
Farm Input Support Scheme:
- The scheme’s objective is to relieve farmers from taking loans from moneylenders by giving them Rs 4,000 per acre for the kharif and rabi seasons.
- It is envisaged that the farmer will use this money for purchase of inputs ranging from seeds to fertilisers to machinery and hired labour.
- The farmer is free to grow a crop of his choice and sell it anytime in a mandi of his choice.
- This model is crop-neutral, more equitable, more transparent, and gives farmers the freedom to choose.
- Incidentally, China has a similar scheme: It gives aggregate input subsidy support on a per acre basis.
- Government is working with the mission of Transforming India from an old civilisation into a modern society – Second India-Korea Business Summit
Highlights of PM speech
- Government is working with the mission of Transforming India from an old civilization into a modern society and from an informal economy into a formal economy.
- Pitched for foreign investments saying India is one of the most open economies in the world.
- The country is on a de-regulation and de-licensing drive. India is already the third-largest economy in terms of purchasing power and very soon, it will become the world’s fifth-largest economy by nominal GDP.
- India is among the very few countries where people have three important factors of economy – Democracy, Demography and Demand together.
- There is huge scope for collaboration between Indian and Korean IT industries.
- Collaboration can be expended in fields like Energy, Smart Cities, Shipping and Railways.
- Finance Ministry directed Public Sector Banks (PSBs) to probe all Non-Performing Assets (NPA) accounts
Finance Ministry directed Public Sector Banks (PSBs) to probe all Non-Performing Assets (NPA) accounts of over 50 crore rupees for possible fraud and accordingly report the cases to CBI.
The direction comes amid state-owned lender PNB reporting 12,700 crore rupees fraud through alleged fraudulent misuse of letters of undertaking by jeweller and associates.
- Fighting has continued in Syria’s rebel-held Eastern Ghouta area
The United Nations says, fighting has continued in Syria’s rebel-held Eastern Ghouta area outside Damascus, despite a five-hour pause ordered by Russia.
- King of Jordan arrived in New Delhi on a three day visit.
The King of Jordan Abdullah-II bin Al-Hussein arrived in New Delhi tonight on a three-day visit. The King will be accompanied by a business delegation.
During the visit, India and Jordan will discuss the entire gamut of bilateral relations as well as regional and international issues of mutual interest.
- Infrastructure development, especially in rural areas, is one of the highest priorities of the government – 3rd annual meeting of AIIB
- Finance Minister said, infrastructure development, especially in rural areas, is one of the highest priorities of the government.
- The logo of the 3rd annual meeting of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) in New Delhi was unveiled.
- India aspires not only the sense of conventional Infrastructure but also rural Infrastructure to be developed to an extent whether quality of life of its people does improve effectively.
- AIIB will play an important role in development of Infrastructure in the country.
- A first of its kind, Aviation Multi Skill Development Centre is inaugurated at the Chandigarh
- The centre is a Corporate Social Responsibility initiative of the Airports Authority of India.
- It is set up in collaboration with the National Skill Development Corporation and supported by the Aerospace and Aviation Sector Skill Council of India.
- The centre will train youth in 8 Aviation job roles over the next three years.
- United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has called for a new global effort to get rid of nuclear weapons
- At the Conference on Disarmament at the UN complex in Geneva, Mr Guterres said, many states still wrongly think that nuclear weapons make the world safer.
- There is great and justified anxiety around the world about the threat of nuclear war and countries must work towards forging a new momentum on eliminating nuclear weapons.
- The Conference on Disarmament is the world’s main forum for nuclear disarmament, but since 1996 it has been deadlocked by disagreements and distrust between rival nuclear powers.