Topic: Ethics in public service
6) You are an honest and upright police officer. In your service you often observe the following:
- There are many corrupt officers around you who have links with underworld, rowdy elements, corrupt politicians and with smugglers. Many of them openly boast about their links.
- Few good officers who wish to set things in order are immediately transferred and are given various troubles by powerful politicians and senior officers
- Some officers believe that ethics has no place in police service as they are targeted both by the criminals and public whenever they try to do the right thing
- Subordinates are ill-treated by their superiors, which in turn drives these subordinates to indulge in petty crimes
- Seniors believe that accepting gifts from the public is not wrong as long as they don’t receive them from criminals
Comment on the above statements. (25)
Why this question?
Because corruption is a major problem in civil services and you should, as a future IAS/IPS officers should know realities and solutions beforehand.
Key demand of the question:
For each part of the question you should register your opinion. You should opine about cause of such state of affairs in the department, or why such things continue despite there being numerous laws and institutions as deterrence. There must be your ‘action’ part in each comment i.e. the action you are going to take to address problem mentioned in each statement.
Comment: With suitable examples, write your opinion on each part (as mentioned above)
Structure of Answer:
There should be a general introduction before you start answering part A of the question. Don’t directly start with question-A. In the introduction write a general commentary on all the statements in the light of certain current event.
In the body, for each part, in about 70 to 80 words, write your opinion as well as course of action that you would take. Be practical. Don’t be too idealistic. At the same time don’t write such measures that are illegal or unethical. In each part, there is no need to write introduction and conclusion again.
No need to write conclusion for questions like this.
(In case studies, imagine yourself to be there in the situation and imagine your course of action.)