All India Radio News Summary : 04 FEBRUARY 2018
- Maldives crisis deepens as Supreme Court orders President Abdulla Yameen to comply with its order to release political prisoners
The Supreme Court clarification has made it clear that there is no hurdle in implementation of its Thursday ruling ordering the release of convicted opposition leaders and the reinstatement of 12 parliamentarians.
- On the other hand, Maldives government has shown no intent to release the opposition leaders and begin retrial. This has led to constitutional breakdown and military is seen all over the capital city of Male.
- Former President and current opposition leader Mohamed Nasheed described the government’s refusal to obey the Supreme Court as a “coup”.
- Opposition parties have sought international help.
- World Cancer Day – February 4th
World Cancer Day is observed on 4th February every year to raise awareness about cancer, its treatment and to encourage methods of its prevention.
- The primary goal of the day is to reduce the illness and related deaths by 2020.
- Theme: ‘We can, I can’ which aims to explore how everyone can do their part to reduce the global burden of cancer.
- The World Cancer Day aims to save millions of preventable deaths each year by raising awareness and education about the disease, pressing governments and individuals across the world to take action.
- Cancer is one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality worldwide, with approximately 14 million new cases in 2012.
- Tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer and is responsible for approximately 22 per cent of cancer deaths.
- Health Ministry had launched the flagship AMRIT programme in 2015 to provide affordable life-saving cancer, and cardiac drugs and medical disposables.
- The Global Investors Summit in Assam called for strengthening the business, economic and cultural ties with the ASEAN and South East Asian countries
The Global Investors Summit in Assam has called for strengthening the business, economic and cultural ties with the ASEAN and South East Asian countries through the Northeast region of India by tapping the advantage of physical and cultural proximity of the region with those countries.
Ministers from Bangladesh, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Bhutan also took part in discussion on the issue.
The deliberations at the summit are likely to give a road map to bolster the economic ties and prospective investment areas.
- North Korea is to send its highest ranking official to the South
North Korea is to send its highest ranking official for years to the South amid an easing of tensions during the Winter Olympics. The two Koreas’ athletes will march under one flag at the opening ceremony.
- National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS) – Ayushaman scheme
Niti Aayog Vice-Chairman said, the newly announced mega healthcare scheme is a game changer and revenue from the 1 per cent additional cess, would be enough to meet the funding needs.
- Finance Minister in budget for 2018-19 announced the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS) to provide health insurance cover of 5 lakh rupees to over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families.
- This will be the world’s largest government funded health care programme.
- There is an existing facility of 2,000 crore rupees for the ongoing Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) scheme.
- The government has provided further financial space to the health ministry by establishing an alternate mechanism of Higher Education Financing Agency (HEFA) for funding capital expenditure needs of the health education project.
- Central scheme will have 60-40 ratio. Those states which want to join the scheme will contribute 40 per cent. North East states will pay 10 per cent.