All India Radio News Summary: 31 January 2018
- New e-way bill system comes into force to bring uniformity across the states for smooth movement of goods
Under the new system, every transporter will have to carry a system-generated bill to move goods from one place to another.
- The e-way bill system has been introduced to bring uniformity across the states for seamless inter-state movement of goods.
About the e-way bill:
- Under GST, e-way bill will be mandatory for inter-state transportation of goods beyond 10 kilometers with a value of 50,000 rupees and above.
- This system shall work on a self-declaration model.
- E-way bill can be generated either by the supplier, the recipient or the transporter.
- It can be generated on the portal – <<ewaybillgst.gov.in>> or through mobile app or SMS.
- The necessary rules relating to the e-way bill have already been notified.
- Last month, the GST Council had decided to implement the e-way bill mechanism throughout the country from the 1st of February.
- India cannot become refugee capital of the world, Centre tells Supreme Court in Rohingya case
The Centre told the Supreme Court that it does not want the country to become the refugee capital of the world.
Additional Solicitor General said this to a bench, headed by Chief Justice, which was hearing a fresh plea by two Rohingya refugees alleging that the BSF was using chilli and stun grenades to stop the refugees from entering India.
He said everyone cannot be allowed to cross the border and these matters are best left to the government to decide.
- NHRC issues notice to the Centre and Punjab Government over high incidence of serious diseases following excessive use of pesticides
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notices to the Centre and Punjab Government over reported high incidence of serious diseases in the Malwa region of the state due to excessive use of pesticides and insecticides.
- Taking suo motu cognizance of a media report, the Commission asked Union Health Secretary and State Chief Secretary to submit a detailed report within six weeks.
- They have also been asked to inform about the steps taken, after 2012, when the Commission had disposed the matter on the assurance given by the State Government for affirmative and prompt action to deal with the menace.
- The NHRC said, it seems that even after a lapse of a period of more than seven years, things have not moved and the people residing in the region are still suffering from various diseases including cancer, liver failure, renal failure and birth defects.
- Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister approved a ban on the sale of Endosulfan and 19 other insecticides reported to be harmful for human beings as well as from the environmental sustainability and economic viability aspects.
- The Indian Navy launched the third Scorpene-class submarine ‘Karanj’ at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited in Mumbai
A total six submarines are going to be built at the MDL in collaboration with French shipbuilding major Naval Group.
- All the submarines are due to be inducted into the Navy by 2020.
- The state-of-the-art Scorpene submarine has superior stealth features and the ability to launch crippling attacks with precision.
- Advanced acoustic silencing techniques, low radiated noise levels and hydro-dynamically optimised shape are some of the features that make it virtually invincible, unmatched by most submarines.
- Scorpene submarines can undertake anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, and mine-laying and area surveillance.
- US President says, America is seeking to enter into new trade agreements with nations that commit fair and reciprocal trade.
US President said, the era of America’s economic surrender is over and it is seeking to enter into new trade agreements with nations that commit to fair and reciprocal trade.
It was his first State of the Union address.
- He laid out a four-pillar immigration plan and sought the backing of the Congress for a merit-based immigration system that admits skilled people.
- The proposal could benefit technology professionals from countries like India.