All India Radio News Summary: 16 DECEMBER 2017
- Prime Minister says government is committed to the development of North East; Inaugurates the 60-Megawatt Tuirial Hydro power Project in Aizawl.
Prime Minister said government is committed to the development of the North-East, adding that central schemes initiated for the benefit of the region have gained momentum.
PM dedicated to the nation, the 60-Megawatt Tuirial Hydro power Project in Aizawl, the capital of Mizoram.
- The completion of this project is a reflection of the commitment to complete on-going projects and usher in new era of development in the north eastern region.
- Besides generating electricity, the reservoir water will also open new avenues for navigation. This will provide connectivity to remote villages. This project will boost Eco -tourism and provide a source of assured drinking water supply.
- With the commissioning of this project, Mizoram becomes the third power surplus state in the north east after Sikkim and Tripura.
- Nation celebrates Vijay Diwas commemorating the victory of Indian Army over Pakistan in 1971 war
Vijay Diwas commemorating India’s victory over Pakistan in 1971 war is being observed. This year’s celebration marks the 46th anniversary of India’s victory over its neighbour.
- It was on this day in 1971, when chief of Pakistani forces Lieutenant General A A K Niazi, along with 93 thousand troops, surrendered to the allied forces, comprising the Indian Army and the Mukti Bahini, led by Lieutenant General Jagjit Singh Aurora, who was the Eastern Army Commander.
- The same evening then Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi made a unilateral offer of a cease-fire in the Western theatre which was accepted by Pakistan the next day. Within ten days of India’s recognition of Bangladesh on 6 December 1971, Bangladesh ted from the Pakistani occupation forces by troops acting under the joint command of the Mukti Bahini and the Indian Armed Forces.
- Bangladesh celebrated the 46th anniversary of its emergence as a new nation. Commemorating its victory in the nine-month long Liberation War against Pakistan, the country is recalling the sacrifices of over 3 million martyrs. The war ended over two decades of misrule by Pakistan.
- GST Council decides to implement uniform system of e-way bill for movement of goods across the country by 1st June next year.
The Uniform System of e-way Bill for inter-State as well as intra-State movement of good will be implemented across the country by 1st June next year.
- The decision to this effect was taken by the GST Council at its 24th Meeting.
- The System for e-way bill generation will be ready by 16th of next month and the States may choose their own timings for its implementation on any date before 1st June next year.
- The rules for implementation of nationwide e-way Bill system on a compulsory basis will be notified on 1st February next year.
- It will bring uniformity across the States for seamless inter-State movement of goods.
- Cochlear Implant Scheme of the Government of India
Under the Cochlear Implant Scheme of the Government of India for hearing disability hundred children under 6 years have benefited as a result of the Corporate Social Responsibility initiative of the Power Finance Corporation.
In an initiative to empower the hearing disabled, Power Finance Corporation has come forward to help the children from homes who cannot afford expensive surgeries that cost around six lakh rupees.