All India Radio News Summary: 04 SEPTEMBER 2017
- 9th BRICS summit begins in Xiamen City of China
BRICS summit has formally begun. Restricted session is underway in which leaders of all five members of BRICS countries of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa are participating. Host country China has also invited five guest countries for the summit under its BRICS plus approach. They are Egypt, Kenya, Tajikistan, Mexico and Thailand.
- This session is focused on global economic situation and international economic governance.
- This session will be followed by BRICS plenary session where the leaders will discuss the practical cooperation for common development and institution building.
- The 9th BRICS summit in the Chinese city of Xiamen today strongly condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. In a joint declaration after the summit, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa condemned all terror attacks worldwide, including those in the member states, stressing that there can be no justification whatsoever for any such act.
- The countries expressed concern at the security situation and violence caused by the Taliban, Islamic state, Al-Qaida and its affiliates the Haqqani network, Pakistan based terrorist organisations Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jaish-e-Mohammad and TTP.
- The declaration also reaffirmed BRICS support to the people of Afghanistan in their as well as international efforts to achieve peace and national reconciliation.
- BRICS leaders also strongly condemned the latest nuclear test conducted by the North Korea.
Prime Minister of India, who participated in the summit, raised the issue of international terrorism and ban on all active terror groups.
- Prime Minister also did mention money laundering, terrorist financing, cyber space as well as a proposing an initiative for the BRICS on countering radicalization and in that context he offered to host an international conference on deradicalization.
- PM also suggested focus on disaster resilient infrastructure.
- He shared his thoughts for deepening BRICS partnership and underlined mainstreaming of youth by the member states.
- Another point that Prime Minister focused on was, the reform of the Security Council and IMF which have remained unfinished agenda and also he felt that the BRICS should really be reshaping the global economic agenda whether is in multilateral trading system or whether it is in other context.
- PM said, BRICS countries are in mission-mode to eradicate poverty and to ensure health, education, food security, sanitation, gender equality and energy.
- The Prime Minister also said, BRICS nations have developed a robust framework for co-operation and contributed to stability and growth in a world drifting towards uncertainty.
- He also sought early creation of BRICS rating agency to cater to financing needs of sovereign and corporate entities of developing countries.
On the side lines of the summit, PM held bilateral meetings with Russian President and Brazilian President.
- Cooperation in the oil and natural gas sector, trade and investment, how the two country should work together to promote trade and investment.
- The two leaders also discussed cultural exchanges.
- Discussions also took place on promotion of Tourism between the two countries and also on the Student Exchange between the two sides.
BRICS leaders have signed four documents during the summit on Action Agenda on Economic and Trade Cooperation, Innovation, Customs Cooperation and MOU with Development Bank on Strategic Cooperation.
- The documents signed by the BRICS leaders are aimed at improving and broadening cooperation mechanism and promoting industrial and technical upgradation to enhance economic complementarities.
- BRICS action plan for innovation cooperation intends to facilitate innovation driven development for sustainable development.
- Strategic frame work of BRICS custom cooperation is meant for mutual sharing of information recombination of customs control and mutual assistance in enforcement as guiding principles.
Prime Minister today assured the BRICS Business Council that India will offer full support to common endeavors of the council. He said,
- India wants BRICS Business Council to help achieve the common objective of improving business and investment cooperation among BRICS countries.
- India is changing fast into one of the most open economy in the world today. The goods and service Tax that was introduced in July, is India’s biggest economic reforms measure ever programmes like digital India, start-up India and make in India are changing the economic landscape of the country. They assisting India turn into the knowledge based skill supported and technology driven society.
- UNSC response over North Korea’s latest nuclear test
The United Nations Security Council will hold an emergency meeting today to discuss an international response to North Korea’s latest nuclear test. The UNSC has said that the US, Britain, France, Japan and South Korea requested the urgent meeting.
- The council will meet in an open session, in contrast to many other meetings on North Korea that have been held behind closed doors.
- The latest meeting comes in the wake of North Korea’s sixth nuclear test, in defiance of UN resolution that prohibits Pyongyang from pursuing nuclear and missile programs.
Yesterday, North Korea tested a hydrogen bomb that could be mounted on a missile and is its biggest nuclear detonation.Meanwhile, North Korea’s action has been condemned around the world.
- India condemned the nuclear test conducted by them. It is a matter of deep concern that North Korea has once again acted in violation of its international commitments which goes against the objective of the de-nuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.
- US President said, North Korea’s words and actions continue to be very hostile and dangerous to America.
- China has also said it would fully enforce UN resolutions on North Korea.
- Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation (SAUNI) Scheme
President laid the foundation stone for Link-4 of Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation (SAUNI) Scheme in Rajkot district.
- SAUNI project had been launched by Prime Minister aims to fill up 115 major dams by diverting overflow of water from the Sardar Sarovar Dam on Narmada River.
- SAUNI project will also help to fill up more than 700 small and check dams to boost the irrigation facilities for the farmers in this region.
- ‘Ye India Ka Time Hai’ event was organized at National Institute of Technology, Raipur
As per the directives of the HRD ministry to mark India’s 70 years of independence and 75 years of the Quit India movement, ‘Ye India Ka Time Hai’ event was organized at National Institute of Technology, Raipur.
- On the occasion of ‘Ye India ka time hai event’, students of NIT Raipur participated in a brainstorming session on ‘New India Manthan’ and discussed their views on ‘what kind of India do they imagine for 2022’.
- National Green Tribunal today issued show cause notice to the Delhi government
The National Green Tribunal today issued show cause notice to the Delhi government, East Delhi Municipal Corporation and others over the recent Ghazipur landfill collapse in which two persons were killed.
The bench said, the Delhi Government and Civic bodies did not carry out the directions of the tribunal which have been issued time and again. They were asked to reduce the height of the dump and take appropriate measures for reduction of the waste.
- Kerala is celebrating Thiruonam
Kerala is celebrating Thiruonam today, the 10th most auspicious day of Onam. It is the biggest cultural festival of the state.
- Onam, the harvest festival of kerala falls in the first month of Malayalm calendar, chingam.
- It is believed the state had its golden period during the reign of King Mahabali and his annual visits to his subjects marks the Onam celebrations.
- Traditionally, the celebrations of Onam begins on the Atham Day and reaches its peak on the 10th day , thiruonam.
- As Kerala is celebrating its biggest cultural festival all streets are crowded and people are in total festive mode.
- Onam is also the time of get-togethers , exchange of well wishes and gifts.