All India Radio News Summary: 28 AUGUST 2017
- India and China have agreed to expeditious disengagement of border personnel at face-off site in Doklam
In June, Indian soldiers had crossed the Sikkim border to stop China from constructing a road on the Doklam Plateau in Bhutan.
Doka La is the Indian name for the region which Bhutan recognises as Dokalam, while China claims it as part of its Donglang region. Of the 3,488-km-long India-China border from Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh, a 220-km section falls in Sikkim.
Ahead of Prime Minister’s upcoming visit to China for the BRICS Summit, India and China have agreed to expeditious disengagement of border personnel at face-off site in Doklam. The External Affairs Ministry today said, New Delhi and Beijing maintained diplomatic relations on the Doklam issue. The Ministry said, during the diplomatic exchanges, India was able to express its views, concerns and interests.
- New Delhi had always maintained to find a mutually acceptable solution of Doklam standoff through diplomatic channels.
- India’s objective was to achieve peace and tranquility in India-China border areas though diplomacy.
- India had urged that both sides should withdraw troops to engage in dialogue whereas Beijing insisted on the unilateral pulling out of India’s soldiers.
- Wings to millions of aspirations
Prime Minister has said, through Jan Dhan Yojana, social security schemes, MUDRA and Stand Up India, government has given wings to millions of aspirations.
- He congratulated the crores of people, particularly the poor, who benefited from this initiative.
- He said, Jan Dhan revolution is a historic movement to bring the poor, downtrodden and marginalised into the financial mainstream.
- The Prime Minister said, government’s efforts to bring a qualitative and transformative change in the lives of the poor and the marginalised continue with immense vigour.
The Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) was launched in August, 2014 with the objective of covering all households with at least one bank account. Till date nearly 30 crore new families have got Jan Dhan accounts in which more than 65,000 rupees crore have been deposited.
- Justice Dipak Misra was today sworn-in as the 45th Chief Justice of India
Justice Dipak Misra was today sworn-in as the 45th Chief Justice of India.
- President administered the oath of office to Justice Misra at the Rashtrapati Bhawan in the national capital.
- Justice Misra replaced Justice JS Khehar, who retired yesterday. Justice Misra will have a tenure of nearly 13 months
- National Sports Talent Search Portal
Vice President today launched the Sports Ministry’s much-awaited National Sports Talent Search Portal.
- National Sports Talent Search Portal will enable any person from across country to upload his information and as per that the Ministry will tap their talent and train them further in their respective disciplines.
- Around 1000 kids will be selected every year and each will receive scholarships of 5 lakh rupees per annum for eight years.
- The portal will provide a three step simple process for registration, profile creation and upload of achievements.
- The portal will be available in English, Hindi and other regional languages. Portal’s App can also be downloaded on smart phones.
- Any child or his teacher or parent can upload the sporting achievements of the child who is eight years of age or above.
- The achievements will be considered by the Ministry and Sports Authority of India- SAI, and those shortlisted, will be called for trials.
- Bomb attack in Afghanistan
In Afghanistan, at least 13 people killed and several others injured in an attack on a convoy of Afghan soldiers in Helmand province.
- A suicide bomber detonated an explosive-filled car as the Afghan National Army convoy in Nawa District of Helmand.
- The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.