[Insights Secure – 2017] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 26 January 2017
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Role of women; Social empowerment
General Studies – 2
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora
2) “The Obama administration’s foreign policy and Donald Trump’s call for its recalibration are both inspired by the same desire to prevent any new challenge to American supremacy.” Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate
3) What does the Article 50 of the European Union treaty say? Recently the Britain Supreme Court ruled that without the approval of their parliament, Brexit campaigners could not trigger Article 50 of the EU treaty. Discuss significance of this ruling. (200 Words)
Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
5) Data shows that despite an increase in spending, educational outcomes in schools have worsened in India in the last decade. Is there something wrong with how the money on education is being spent? What course correction is needed? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
6) India both democracy and elections are celebrated. But in recent years, elections have become synonymous with democracy. Do you think the meaning of democracy and our celebration of it largely going to be exhausted by the importance of elections? Or are elections also an instrument of a meaning of democracy that goes beyond elections? Critically comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
General Studies – 4
Topic: Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service
8) In your opinion, in India where constitution, democracy and its institutions are held in high regard, what traits, vision and mission should a political leader possess, especially the Prime Minister? Justify. (150 Words)