[Insights Secure – 2017] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 03 January 2017
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Poverty and developmental issues; Population
General Studies – 2
Topic:Important aspects of governance, Transparency
2) Recently, the Supreme Court removed top functionaries of BCCI for not implementing Lodha panel recommendations and for the contempt of court. In your opinion, what lessons should BCCI learn from this episode? Also briefly give your opinion on the whole episode. (200 Words)
Topic: Functions and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies
Topic: e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential;
4) According to surveys by the World Bank and the department of industrial policy and promotion, Andhra Pradesh has emerged as one of the easiest places to do business in India. In this regard, discuss the e-governance initiatives taken by Andhra government which have helped it .(200 Words)
Topic : mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
5) Some people see reservation system as a programme for poverty-removal. Do you agree? What are the true objectives of reservation system? Is demand for reservation by Socially Advanced Castes (SACs) justified? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity
6) A seven-judge Bench of the Supreme Court, in a majority judgment, held that an appeal for votes during elections on the basis of religion, caste, race, community or language, even that of the electorate, will amount to a ‘corrupt practice’ and call for disqualification of the candidate. Discuss significance of and justification for this judgement. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic:Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
7) It is said that there is rising uneasiness within the Indian Army on a number of significant issues. Critically analyse these issues and suggest how they should be dealt with by government and the defence establishment. (200 Words)
8) Compare and contrast the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) with the Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM). Examine if AMRUT is an improvement over JNNURM. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Ethical dilemmas in public and private institutions
9)ABC Ltd. Is a large transnational company having diversified business activities with a huge shareholder base. The company is continuously expanding the generating employment. The company, in its expansion and diversification programme, decides to establish a new plant at Vikaspuri, an area which is underdeveloped. The new plant is designed to use energy efficient technology that will help the company to save production cost by 20%. The company’s decision goes well with the Government policy of attracting investment to develop such underdeveloped regions. The government has also announced tax holiday for five years for the companies that invest in underdeveloped areas. However, the new plant may bring chaos for the inhabitants of Vikaspuri region, which is otherwise tranquil. The new plant may result in increased cost of living, aliens migrating to the region, disturbing the social and economic order. The company sensing the possible protest tried to educate the people of Vikaspuri region and public in general that how its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policy would help overcome the likely difficulties of the residents of Vikaspuri region. In spite of this the protests begin and some of the residents decided to approach the judiciary as their plea before the Government did not yield any result.
a) Identify the issues involved in the case
b) What can be suggested to satisfy the company’s goal and to address the residents’ concern?
CSE Mains 2016 GS-IV