[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 01 December 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Population and associated issues
1) New data from the Civil Registration System of the Registrar General of India shows a fall in sex ratio at birth from 898 girls to 1,000 boys in 2013, to 887 in 2014. Examine the reasons for declining sex ratio. Also examine why states such as Tamil Nadu which are progressive, are experiencing fall in sex ratio at child birth. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
2) How does the development Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar (BCIM) project offer India an opportunity to create its own win-win relationship with China, especially in the light of growing US – China face-off? Examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Role of women; Social empowerment (Paper-1); mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
General Studies – 3
Topic: Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
4) At least 89 security personnel have been killed in Jammu and Kashmir so far in 2016. Do you think, despite measures being taken by India to avert terrorist attacks in border areas, terrorists are gaining upper hand? How can India minimise loss of lives of security personnel in Kashmir? Critically examine. (200 Words)
5) In September 2016, the Tamil Nadu Fisheries Department issued an order that banned all forms of fishing within a radius of 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) at 90 sites along the State’s coastline. Do such measures aid the conservation of olive ridleys? What long-term solutions are required? Critically discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
6) The Supreme Court has ruled that the national anthem must be played in cinema halls across the country before a film is screened, and everyone present must stand to pay respect. Do you think patriotism could be inculcated by forcing these orders on citizens? What are the ethical issues involved in this order? Critically examine. (200 Words)