[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 08 October 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
1) In the light of India’s surgical strikes along the Line of Control, will dropping the policy of strategic restraint work towards taking a step forward or will it ignite another spiral of violence and retribution in Kashmir? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
Topic: Urbanisation – problems and remedies
3) With reference to Smart Cities missions, it is said that rather than an undue emphasis on “harnessing technology” for the betterment of citizens, the focus should be on inclusive urbanisation, where no one is left behind, especially the youth. Discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States,
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
5) The adversities suffered by leprosy patients are multi-faceted, ranging from medical, social and psychological to economic and legal. In this light, examine India’s record and strategy in eradicating leprosy in the country. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security
Topic: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
Topic: Environmental pollution
8) “High levels of air pollution from transport systems in urban India pose a severe threat to public health. While long-term challenges remain to curtail pollution sources, immediate measures must be taken to minimise risks to exposed populations.” Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Disaster and disaster management.
9) “Systems of mitigation and response are at the very foundation of economic development, built into the understanding of disasters.” In the light of various disasters that the Himalayan region is prone to, discuss the statement. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Political attitude; Public service ethics