[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 23 June 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic:The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country
The Hindu (Not Directly Related)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure,
2) What are the merits of the idea of conducting simultaneous elections for state assemblies and Parliament? Are there compelling reasons for India to consider this option? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these
Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests; Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health,
6) Thailand is said to be a good example of how a middle-income country can provide healthcare cover to its entire population in a relatively short period of time. Why and how should India emulate this model? Discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Employment; Changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
7) “India needs to generate jobs that are formal and productive, provide bang-for-buck in terms of jobs created relative to investment, have the potential for broader social transformation, and can generate exports and growth.” In your opinion, which sector meets all these criteria to make it an excellent vehicle for an employment creation strategy? Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Government Budgeting.
8) Recently the NITI Aayog has argued that the convention of presenting a separate railway budget every year be done away with. What’s the rationale behind this argument? Do you support? Comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic:Ethics in public administration; Emotional intelligence
9) As an administrator, you might witness a subordinate – who is powerful despite his position – making baseless allegations against some of your colleagues or on you itself. He might embarrass your office by his unsubstantiated tirades against well meaning people. In your opinion, how such people should be treated by you? Justify. (150 Words)