[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 09 May 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Poverty and developmental issues
1) New data released by IMF and other agencies in recent weeks shows that inequality in India is of Latin American rather than East Asian proportions. In the light of these data, discuss the nature of inequality in India. (200 Words)
Topic: Critical changes to geographical features
2) Analyse the availability and usage of water in India. What policy measures are needed to effective management of water in India? Examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Important aspects of governance
3) Analyse the systemic challenges facing India’s foreign policy. (200 Words)
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
4) It is said that since independence, successive governments have appeased China only to be disappointed in turn by China’s policies towards India’s interests. Do you agree? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education, Human Resources.
5) Education has for long been the key to moving up the economic and social ladder. There can be no equality of opportunity without access to quality education. Have inequalities in educational access in India diminished in recent times? Examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
6) Critically comment on the draft Geospatial Information Regulation Bill of 2016. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Indian economy – growth; Resource mobilization
7) “The “free market” has not benefited the customers—both the borrowers and the depositors—as much as it should have because of an extremely restrictive entry policy in the banking space. There is an inherent contradiction in the coexistence of a free market and a repressive banking system in India.” Elaborate the statement and examine if things are changing for the better. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic:Ethics in human actions; Dimension of ethics;
8) Based on facts, data and ethics, what arguments can be made against imposing death penalty to individuals in India? Examine. (200 Words)