[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 04 May 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) “Forest fires highlight a larger cycle of threats in the western Himalaya. Increasing the area under broadleaf forests throughout is the only way forward.” What do you understand by broadleaf forests? Why are they absent in the region? How will their growth address forest fires? Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
2) Museums play an important role in preserving art, culture and natural history of a nation. It is said that museums in India are facing plethora of problems. Analyse these problems and suggest solutions. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes
General Studies – 3
Topic: Mobilization of resources
4) It is said that increases in social sector will cause the fiscal deficit to increase, which is seen as unacceptable in policy circles. To address various problems presently faced in rural regions and by weaker sections, increased spending is suggested. From where does government can mobilize money? If at all it doesn’t have money, where is it going? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Economic growth; Employment
Topic: Infrastructure – Ports
6) The Indian port sector plays a vital role in sustaining growth in the country’s trade and commerce. What are the problems faced by ports sector in India? What measures have been taken to address them? Examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Ethical issues in international relations
7) “Ever since China’s decision to block UN sanctions against Masood Azhar, many Indians have concluded their superpower neighbour’s policies are driven by moral blindness, even malice.” What ethical issues does China’s action gives rise to? Will it be ethical if India does the same to China? Critically comment. (150 Words)