[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 01 April 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Urbanization – problems and remedies
General Studies – 2
Topic:Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
3) It is argued that the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016, which strives to protect consumers interest will actually harm competition in real estate sector and ultimately harm consumers’ interest. Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic:Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
4) It is said that India is becoming home to production and trial of substandard drugs in recent years. In your opinion, why such drugs are produced and distributed? How can they be regulated? Critically comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security
Topic: Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support price
7) Every year new species of frogs are discovered in the Western Ghats which indicate that key features of the rainforests are vital to the survival of less-known species. Discuss the significance of Western Ghats in the light of discovery of new species in the region and how it should be protected. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Ethics in public administration; EThical concerns in administration
8) You are working as Pre University (PU) Board Director. Since you have assumed office, you have taken strict measures such as suspending corrupt clerks and officials in the board; issuing notices to private colleges for indulging in admission malpractices; curbing the lobby of powerful private coaching centres. You have also introduced reforms in conducting fair and transparent entrance exams to professional courses. But, your measures have created more enemies for you within and outside the board. Recently, question papers of PU exam were leaked two times and lives of students were made miserable. Despite your efforts to reform the system, it seems someone with vested interests have leaked papers to tarnish your image. After the public uproar, you are suspended from the position and shunted to a different department.
- Examine the ethical issues involved in this case study.
- After getting suspended, will you move quietly without trying to prove your innocence? What options do you have? Discuss their merits and demerits. (250 Words)