[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 09 February 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic:Urbanization – Problems and their remedies
1) Apart from rural regions, open defecation is also a major problem in urban centres. Why do you think this practice persists in cities too? What urgent steps should be taken to stop this practice? Critically examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic:Role of civil services in democracy
2) In the light of the frequent violation of the right of innocent people to associate, assemble and give expression to dissent by the state agencies such as police, it is strongly argued that reforming the police is an urgent necessity. Critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic:Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3) Recently, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) barred telecom service providers from charging differential rates for data services. Discuss the implication of this ruling on consumers, tech companies and telecom operators. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Security challenges and their management in border areas
Topic: Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
5) It is argued that terrorism breeds in poverty and the reverse is also true. Do you agree? How to stop such kind of terrorists who are not motivated by ideology but pushed by poverty? Critically analyse. (200 Words)
Topic: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
6) In the light of the centrality of the oceans for India’s prosperity and security, it is recognised that India should rapidly modernise its poor maritime infrastructure and strengthen its naval forces. Critically discuss why Indian ocean is important for India’s prosperity and security and the progress made in upgrading its capabilities in maritime domain. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic:Challenges of corruption; Probity and integrity in public administration